Sunday, June 12, 2011

Getaway



On the first weekend of June, Pete and I took off and headed down the Kenai Peninsula.




When we got to the campsite, I was so cold so Pete came to my rescue with a nice little fire. Which I enjoyed while he set up camp.




Just kidding, I took pictures so that we would have a permanent record of this experience. Which is a very important part of camping. I also supplied the S'mores which are also very important.



This is the campground that we stayed at. A great little find with a cute little hostess that rode up to greet us on a three wheeled bike.




The next day we decided to try out a hike that the camp hostess had told us about. The flowers were all just starting to come out into bloom.





We followed Crescent Creek all the way to Crescent Lake.










Pete, hovering on the banks of the wild rushing river! :-P Don't worry, I would have saved him if he had fallen in.







We saw a lot of bird life, a black bear mamma and her two cubs, and a river otter.














61/2 miles in, 61/2 miles out. A little more than we had planned on but it was worth the views.
That evening we drove down to Homer for our Halibut charter on the following day. We pulled into town around 10:00 p.m. We ate some fantastic Hawaiian food from a little diner and parked in a campground on the Homer Spit. We were both exhausted and it was raining so we decided to attempt sleeping in the car. By the time we settled in it was midnight and the light was gray around us.




You can just see Pete's chin above my head. He gave up on trying to sleep in the passenger seat and traded spots with the fish cooler. I slept a solid 4 1/2 hours and woke up pretty refreshed.





Pete, in the backseat.




The Charter office, very early the next morning.





Our worthy craft.




Our worthy crew.






The fellow in yellow is one of my supervisors at work and the mastermind behind the halibut charter madness.













Pete and one of our Halibut. Halibut are so tasty but SO heavy to pull in. I pulled in a couple but Pete was there to help when my arms refused to crank the reel one more time! H always seems to be rescuing me in one way or another. He pulled in quite a few halibut of his own as well.




Our crew was wonderful and kept our lines baited and filleted our halibut before we even returned to dock.




The seagulls knew it was dinner time when they started throwing the carcasses back into the bay.







From Homer we headed back up to Anchorage and pulled in around 11:00 p.m.

It was such a blessing to be able to spend that time together doing things we enjoy. Despite the lack of sleep we both started out the following week recharged and thankful.

much love,
the Odrens



2 comments:

  1. You always have such interesting and exciting posts with such beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing your life. It always brings a little excitement and joy to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! You're so welcome! I feel so blessed that people take the time to peek into our lives this way! Thanks for following us :-)

    ReplyDelete