Sunday, May 26, 2013

Homer Shorebird Festival 2013



Like hardcore Alaskan birders we voyaged down to Homer for the annual Shorebird Festival.  With binoculars in hand and armed with cameras and reference manuals we joined the throng of raincoat wearing bird gazers.




While Pete scanned the horizon for feathered creatures I trained my lens at the ground and met a tiny little crab stuck in the mud.




And a shrimpy little baby fish of unknown species.



Upon raising my lens to the horizon I was met with a close up of this handsome fella.  

Yes, dear readers, this is the real reason I don mud boots and pretend to know the difference between a Lesser Yellow Legs and a Least Sandpiper.  I'm sure you understand.  

:-)




Heading towards Bishop's Beach.








Again, looking at the ground.




Somebody's work of art.







Walking down the Spit.




We spent the two day getaway enjoying the weather, eating delicious food and visiting with old Homer friends.








And to finish, for any of you fellow birders out there, here is our tally.

5/11/13 - Homer Spit
Short billed Dowitcher
Dunlin
Lesser Yellow Legs
Semipalmated Plover
Least Sandpiper
Northern Shoveler
Greenwing Teal
Northern Pintail

5/12/13 - Homer Spit
Common Loon
Brant

No comments:

Post a Comment