Look who came to see me!!!
For the six months leading up to her visit I could barely contain my excitement. We eagerly discussed weather conditions, what to pack, how to not get picked up by desperate AK guys traveling on airlines alone, recipes we would make and then eat, friends to introduce her to, what she HAD to see while she was here and so on.
Finally the airplane landed and it was time! Kristy was here!
Pete worked for the first couple days of her visit so she and I visited some gorgeous areas around Anchorage.
The first drive was down Turnagain Arm. Breathtaking views and perfect weather.
That day we ended up on the Winner Creek Trail in Girdwood where Kristy played on the Giant Bridge. After appeasing the trolls with baked goods, of course.
:-)
Well, she would have if they had been there, their loss, I guess.
Then we went to Virgin Creek Falls. One of my favorite places to visit in Girdwood. Just a few magical steps inside and you get to see one of the most beautiful waterfalls around.
When Pete was finally free to play we took her up to Byers Lake.
We told her it was a short easy hike. ;-)
Haha.....
She kept right up with us, actually she kept up with Pete, I, like usual when ascending outrageous heights, trailed behind.
"I'm taking pictures!" That's my line. :-) I think I still have Pete convinced.
Chilly July snow.
Kristy, looking down from her lofty perch.
And she made it!
To celebrate our achievement we stretched out in the cool mountain top breeze.
Release the tension, lean into the stretch, breathe.
Then we took a nap. Well, Pete did while Kristy took pictures of us and I tried not to laugh.....yeah, didn't try that hard.
Kristy froze to death until Pete woke up and agreed to take us back to camp.
She is a great trail blazer, leaping over small streams with the grace of a red haired gazelle.
We hiked all the way up the peak, looking for this waterfall but didn't find it until we were on the way back down.
This is right before the mosquitoes attacked.
Pete gathered wood for the campfire and carried it out until Kristy insisted that she should help and grabbing it, she trekked bravely on. Swatting at mosquitoes with her free hand.
Until a protective mother Spruce Grouse decided that she had ventured too close to her nest and jumped out to attack her!
Finally back at camp, tired feet and hungry stomachs.
The next morning we headed back into Anchorage. And the rest of this story will have to wait for another post.
:-)
Cute post!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Kristy could visit you!
It looks like you had an awesome time!
<3 Anna