I had the 13th off, and decided to take a brief respite from my recent riparian pursuits and do a little mountaineering. I started from Basher trail head, a point from which I have often assayed. I thought I was in for a modest jaunt, perhaps 2,000 feet of elevation gain. Starting from approximately 3 feet above sea level in the parking lot, I would climb to a height of 4,491 ft to stand atop Wolverine peak in a "pea soup" consistency fog (being denied the satisfaction of a no doubt spectacular view). All this combined to produce a fabulous day (in all sincerity, I had a blast).
Spruce Grouse and Rock Ptarmigan were prevalent throughout the range of habitats I passed through.
As I ascended a heavy fog (a cloud) settled around me, I could only see about 35 yards ahead.
This is the pinnacle of of the summit. The slope leading to it vanished into the fog, a sheer drop of hundreds of feet.
The weather cleared as I descended in elevation. Anchorage is visible in the distance.
A little ground squirrel.
No comments:
Post a Comment