Monday, July 18, 2011

Hunting Salmon, Turnagian AK

Today I picked up my new fly rod and reel, an event approximately 12 years in the skeeming. To celebrate my new found freedom I had planned a post haste trip down Turnagain Arm, seeking some of the first sea bright pink salmon reported to be migrating en mass to their natal drainage's.


The weather consisted of sun broken by rags of dramatic cloud. I am eternally impressed by the splendor of the Turnagain area.




This is a magnificent cloud structure I had to pull off to capture. In the distance on the left you can see a glacier spilling over a canyon rim into the sea. 




First fish with my new outfit, a beautiful and feisty pink salmon, fresh from the salt.

2 comments:

  1. My parents just finished fishing for salmon up in Alaska at Cooper's landing. Have you ever been there? I believe their whole trip is in the Kenai Peninsula. Is that anywhere close to where all your pictures are taken. Your pictures are always so beautiful and inspiring. That fish looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yes, many of our pictures are taken on or near the Kenai, it's a beautiful place. Cooper's Landing is a fishing Mecca; I've been through there many times, and we've done some hiking in that area. Again, a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete