Thursday, July 21, 2011

Scoring Chum Salmon

Yesterday I dedicated myself to fishing to exhaustion. At six and a half bells I was at Jarred's with my gear. We hit a few places before he had to work at one, he hooked into an early silver.

After he dropped me off I had lunch with my wife, then hit the deck to filet up that silver and get some quick R&R. Then I headed back out. I ended up dead drifting flies in a deep hole in a drainage, just a few hundred yards off the Inlet. Hooked into a ten or twelve pound chum. A crazy fight ensued! The river had a screaming foot per second ratio, and the moment the fish struck my fly, it turned all its mass, nose down, straight into the current. I set the but cap of my rod in my hip, concentrating on keeping the tip up, tightened down the drag, and began working on turning this torpedo. The outcome was a muddy struggle on the bank, with me finally clubbing my noble adversary with a rock.

   

Fresh caught chum is tasty stuff off the grill with some season salt and a little olive oil. :-)

2 comments: